Sunday, April 7, 2013

Forest Ambles


I was delighted to discover a beautiful forest trail not far from my crowded neighborhood. The trail beckons to Izzy and me each day, and now that the light is lasting longer, we both rush home with the anticipation of getting out to discover what new mysteries the trail has to offer for the day.


We've discovered fairy bridges covered in moss and surrounded by green-leafed ferns. We've tried waiting silently so that the fairies feel safe enough to come out for a ramble, but Izzy invariably gives up just as I imagine I hear little fairy bells sounding through air.


We've noticed sleeping giants and watched them as they have awakened, and stretched their arms out to the sky . . .


. . . And we have discovered naughty woodpeckers busily at work bringing down the forest.


It is alarming to see the amount of damage that these sharp-beaked creatures can accomplish in very little time . . .


. . . Just recently, we discovered a downed tree in the middle of the trail, and the culprit felt no shame in his work, even as Isabeau sharply accused him of fault.


"After all," he seemed to reply, "this particular trail is named after me, and I accept the invitation hungrily, and without remorse."


. . . and he flew to his next target without a backward glance, and began his awful work.


Sometimes the downed trees take on a particular beauty, as the forest quickly covers them with funeral leaves of ivy.


No matter what the season, or time of day, we can always be assured that there will be something magical waiting for us along the forest trail. (all pics with my iphone; I returned the camera I bought at Christmas, and am still looking for the perfect fit.)

3 comments:

  1. Jonathan was asking David a question about woodpeckers this morning, so I told him about the ones wreaking havoc in your forest. He says the woodpeckers are just after the pine beetles, and it's the pine beetles that are killing and felling the trees. So, like geckos in Florida, woodpeckers are our friends? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having a close-by trail is such a blessing. Here, even though we are in the foothills, we have to drive away from the neighborhood to find any such places. I am happy you and Izzy can have the ideal routine to look forward to. And yes, I understand about surprises in the woods, and changes in even ancient scenes - those are wondrous. Ah, and now I understand about your iphone; I didn't know you returned your camera. I hope you find a new one soon, because your perspective is unique and wonderful, and deserves a better tool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! I miss those enchanted forests of Seattle! Thank you for taking me on the walk with you via word and photo. I can. not. wait. to get back home to walk through them again!

    ReplyDelete