Sunday, December 30, 2012

Strong Sisters

One of the wisest things I've done this year is to invite some of my closest and most respected friends to join a "Strengths Group" with me.  We began our first two meetings based upon a book I had read by Marcus Buckingham called "Find Your Strongest Life."  I have been using the Marcus Buckingham teachings at work, where, together with my employer, we have taught branch teams how to work from a position of strength, while acknowledging weaknesses (this is a very simplified explanation).  The book I based the group on - "Find Your Strongest Life" -  is written especially for women, and applicable across all aspects of life: work, home, individual goals, etc.

I was fortunate that each of my friends accepted my invitation, and came forward to share their own strengths, and by doing so, strengthened everyone else in the group.  It was quite a surprise to discover that almost everyone is in the process of writing a book.  One of our most memorable meetings was when everyone took turns sharing their book concept, and some even read chapters that they had written.  Another surprise was the discovery that four of our ten had disabled children.  Wonder what this says about "strong women?"  

Just a few weeks ago, I was able to host the monthly event in my new home, where I cooked my favorite Miso Salmon, and welcomed people into my home for dinner for the first time.  It was a delightful and warm experience, and my home has been blessed as a result.


Eva Gremmert (published author, CPA, teacher, mother to a disabled son), Marilyn Springgay (author, teacher, and life-giving friend) and Jackie Boak (nurse, cheerleading coach, teacher).


Melanie LeFevre (Earth Woman, Master Gardener, Farmer, massage therapist, Sunshine Fairy) and Sharla Dance (author, teacher, Musician Extraordinaire, mother to disabled daughter).


Roxane Spring (midwife, author, volunteer firefighter, mother to disabled son), Dana Cardon (author, Musician Extraordinaire, published musical author, interior designer, mother to disabled son), Lyn Clare (teacher, Cook Extraordinaire, Homemaker Extraordinare).


Brandee Leafty (author, professional photographer, artist-of-all things, professional cake-maker, can-do-anything) and me (boy, do I need to lose weight!)


Roxane telling the story of becoming a volunteer firefighter at age 60 . . . Laughter filling my home with light and happiness.



The ever-present and supportive Brandee, who has come to my home every week for two years, even while pregnant, and with a new baby-in-arms.  She has seen me through many dark days and nights, and also encouraged me to make new goals, and to dream new dreams.  She is my decorating conspirator, my go-to movie Buddy, and trusted confidante.

Amongst all of the things I have to be grateful for, I am deeply grateful for this group of powerful and tender women, who have blessed my life so much and inspired me to be a better person.

2 comments:

  1. Such a tribute! As you describe these wonderful women, do not forget yourself: discoverer of people's needs, unstoppable care-giver, undaunted challenge-meeter, accomplished speaker and teacher, author, professional home decorator extraordinaire, unselfish grandmother and mother, peacemaker, first-class hostess. If there were an official list of "Valiant Women of Today" you, Dear Lynda, would be the first one on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the above comment! Don't sell yourself short. You are amazing. If I were to describe you I would say that you are: a spiritual giant, a friend, a mother to many (including me), a wonderful mother and grandmother, a youthful spirit, a cowgirl, a Renascence princess, an interior designer, an author, the best institute teacher ever, an author, and the list could go on forever. I know you have touched and changed my life for the better, as well as many others. Please don't forget how special you are to your Heavenly Father, to me, and to many others. I love you because you are you!

    ReplyDelete