Walking has long been my favorite pastime. It seems to be the best way to prepare for my day, or to de-stress after a particularly long on. It's also a great prayer time. Being out in nature clears my mind and opens my heart, as I connect back to the earth and its Creator.
I've spent hours walking in all kinds of weather, and sometimes - especially in the last two years - the rain has mixed with my tears. Last February, I slipped on the ice at 5AM on the country road, and ended up with a concussion. Funny thing about that: I'd just told myself: "That's ice! Be careful!" Seems like when it comes to ice, it doesn't matter if you are aware and stepping carefully. My legs just slipped out from under me, and the next moment, I was laying on my back in the middle of the road, Isabeau whimpering over me. I've been pretty timid about icy mornings ever since, but in any other conditions, you can be certain that Izzy and I are going to be out exploring (assuming it is a day off).
Izzy is my beloved walking companion. All I have to say is "Do you want to go for a walk?" and she will jump up out of a sound sleep. Admittedly, she would prefer that we run, but I will have to work up to that sometime in the future. In the meantime, we make a pretty good team, as we explore new paths.
Two weeks ago, Austin and Faith joined Izzy and me on one of our regular trails. The forest path was littered with beautiful, multi-colored leaves, and we just had to stop for pictures:
Austin has a fairly serious expression in this picture. He had been talking to me about some pretty serious things, and I felt grateful to have a grandson who wanted to share his feelings with me:
Faith filled her arms with bunches of leaves, with a running undercurrent of delighted giggles:
Izzy always loves to spend time with Austin and Faith, and was docile under Austin's capable leadership:Aren't these the cutest faces imaginable? What a treat to spend such a special and beautiful day with my loved ones!





What a nice pathway, excellent walking companions and gorgeous leaves! (I had forgotten just how huge the leaves get in Seattle). New England is known for it's abundant autumn foliage, but the leaves don't get quite that large over here. Makes me a little home sick! :)
ReplyDeleteFun pics! I wish I could have joined you on the walk. It looks like so much fun :)
ReplyDeleteMy heart jumped and smiled when I saw that you had blogged about a favorite time of year, and places, and people! The children have grown so much! I am happy too that you can have memorable times and talks, and that you actually took photos! What a great trail. Please don't go out on the icy pathways any more though. Enjoy the rest of the weather in solitude (I do the same thing: pray while I walk alone) and beauty as the season changes. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete